Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) — A Mormon teen who walked 14 miles to get help for his siblings who were attacked by Mexican drug cartel gunmen recalled how his mother warned the family to “get down” before she was fatally shot last Monday.
“Get down right now!” were the last words from Dawna Langford to her eight children, two of whom ended up dying, 13-year-old Devin Langford told ABC News in an interview that aired on “World News Tonight” on Sunday.
Devin told the network his mother began to pray as the cartel members, carrying long guns and wearing vests, approached the family.
Once the dust settled, Dawna and two of her boys, Trevor Langford, 11, and Rogan Langford, 2, were dead.
Six other children inside the family’s white Chevrolet Suburban survived.
Devin ended up ushering his siblings into a hiding spot before walking 6 hours back to the family’s community of LaMora in Sonora, Mexico, where he notified relatives of the bloodshed.
“So now, it’s my whole life has turned upside down,” he told the network. “Not only have I lost a wife and two children, but I’m having to move the rest of my family with really no place to go at this point.”
The Langfords joined dozens of others from the area’s Mormon settlements to flee Mexico on Sunday for the United States following the attack that killed nine people.
“It’s not worth living in fear,” he told ABC News. “The toughest part for me was saying goodbye … saying goodbye to two innocent lives that were cut short and a vibrant wife that lived a life to its fullest that had many friends and was loved by all, by everybody.”
The network is set to air Devin’s full interview Monday on “Good Morning America.”
More International News Stories
- Nigeria is trying 47 men arrested in a hotel under its anti-gay laws December 12, 2019
- Santa hacker speaks to girl via smart camera December 12, 2019
- Chile missing plane: Human remains found, governor says December 12, 2019
- Saudi Aramco replaces Apple as world’s largest listed company December 12, 2019
- Chicago prosecutor to vacate 1,000 marijuana convictions December 12, 2019
- Sex criminal sentenced to life throws pitcher, hits judge in head December 12, 2019
- Pakistan protest: Patients die as lawyers ransack Lahore hospital December 12, 2019
- General election 2019: Voters head to polls across the UK December 12, 2019