Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The family of the late George Odlum and The George Odlum Memorial Celebration Committee wish to announce the second annual lecture for St. Lucian politician and minister of government, George Odlum, to be held on Wednesday, October 5, at 6.30 p.m.
The second lecture will be delivered by Mr. McDonald Dixon, poet and playwright. Odlum and Dixon were students together at St. Mary’s College and later life-long friends who both shared an untiring love for the Arts.
The title of Mr. Dixon’s Lecture is: “George Odlum: The Man and The Arts”
Coordinator of the Lecture series, Jerry George, says this second lecture will touch on yet another area of Odlum’s expansive life and interests. “We will continue to highlight the multi-sided talents of a complex man who did well in the service of the people of St. Lucia in Diplomacy and public service, in the arts and in sports, especially.
The lecture is open to the public.
This year the Committee also plans to launch an essay writing competition for secondary school students and to start planning for the 15th anniversary of Mr. Odlum’s passing in 2018.
This is the 13th Anniversary of Odlum’s death. He died after as short illness on September 28, 2003 and was buried October 6, 2003. There will also be the customary church services in remembrance of George Odlum at the Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Castries on Monday, September 28, 2016 and a visit by family and well-wishers to Odlum’s gravesite.
For additional information join/like/share the George Odlum Memorial Celebrations Committee’s Facebook page.
More General Stories
- DASH Independence Colour Run 2020 – Ready, set, go! January 17, 2020
- Book fair opens for Nobel Laureate Festival January 16, 2020
- Central Statistical Office commences mapping for 2020 census January 15, 2020
- PM Chastanet wishes Saint Lucians a prosperous new year January 2, 2020
- Castries Lions bring Christmas cheer to the less fortunate December 30, 2019
- SALCC gives back to the community December 24, 2019
- Fish cleaners in Laborie get high praise December 20, 2019