Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – The Sports Academy St Lucia and the Cap Estate Community mourns the loss of the beloved Anna Mitchell, a British Citizen who made St Lucia her home (over 20 yrs ago) and became an active community volunteer.
Anna Mitchell died tragically at her residence at Cap Estate on June 12, 2018. She was 71 years old.
Anna had a long history with The Sports Academy St Lucia. An active member of the Management Committee, Anna committed not only her time but the use of the pool at her home from which she ran a swim programme. Anna was dedicated to the vision of the Sports Academy to see sports being used to bring youth transformation; not only by offering sports programmes, but also by providing advice, training on healthy lifestyles and career opportunity.
At the time of her death Anna was working with the Academy in preparation to host the Sports Academy Annual Fundraiser Charity Event at her home.
“We’ve lost not only a friend but a community exemplar,” said Ann-Marie Joseph. “Anna epitomized the ideals of a true community servant. She gave generously to what she valued. She offered up the use of her pool so that a swim programme could be held. She opened up her home so that charitable events could be held. Anna’s personality was such that she adopted all the children who visited her home as if they her own grandchildren. I will remember her for her warmth, her sense of fun and her sense of humour.”
To commemorate the contributions that Anna has made to the Sports Academy and to the local community the Academy will continue with plans to host this year’s Garden Party but will fittingly host it in honour of Anna and rename it ‘The Anna Mitchell Memorial Garden Party’.
Proceeds from the Garden Party will go towards the Sports Academy Camp and mission; which this year begins on 9th July 2018.
The new venue is courtesy of SANDALS CAP Estate Golf & Country Club. The date for the Anna Mitchell Memorial Garden Party to be confirmed.
Anna is survived by her 2 children; and her spouse as well as two grandchildren.
Anna will be laid to rest in private ceremonies in London UK.
- George Floyd death: Widespread unrest as curfews defied across US
- ‘Saint Lucia will reopen its borders this week to visitors and nationals’
- Third tropical system may develop before Atlantic Hurricane Season officially starts
- Jamaica: Herbs man says he has cure for COVID-19, every disease
- What happened in the last moments of George Floyd’s life
- Saint Lucia and Republic of Kosovo sign visa waiver agreement
- Saint Lucia considering phased reopening of Grade Six and Form Five classes
- Mother and children homeless after Ciceron fire
- UPDATE: Fire on abandoned building in Castries now under control (+photos and videos)