Share This On:
(BBC) – A woman celebrating her 111th birthday says having fun and not worrying is her secret to feeling young.
“I like to enjoy myself,” said Grace Jones, who is the sixth oldest person in the UK. “I don’t sit and knit.”
“I never worry if anything happens, I just let it go over. Don’t worry – it keeps you younger,” she said.
On her 109th birthday Mrs Jones warmed hearts when she confessed: “I don’t drink but I have a little drop of whisky every night.”
“She is always looking for the action,” said her daughter Deirdre McCarthy.
“Sometimes I’ll call her nursing home to see how she is and she’s scooted off to the lounge to see what’s going on.”
Mrs Jones, from Broadway in Worcestershire, is the oldest person in her county and has received her eighth birthday card from the Queen.
After she turned 100, Buckingham Palace wrote to Mrs Jones to tell her that the next birthday card from the Queen would arrive when she was 105, said Mrs McCarthy.
“She looked up and said ‘I can wait’, and she has,” she said.
Mrs Jones said she enjoyed dancing, parties and being surrounded by the countryside.
“I like meeting people,” she said.
“Some people are so miserable aren’t they? I can’t understand them. They’ll say, ‘oh dear, I’ll just stay home’ but I like to enjoy myself.”
She is not the first Grace Jones to be blessed with longevity as she shares a name with the former UK’s oldest person who died aged 113 in 2013.
More International News Stories
- Nigeria is trying 47 men arrested in a hotel under its anti-gay laws December 12, 2019
- Santa hacker speaks to girl via smart camera December 12, 2019
- Chile missing plane: Human remains found, governor says December 12, 2019
- Saudi Aramco replaces Apple as world’s largest listed company December 12, 2019
- Chicago prosecutor to vacate 1,000 marijuana convictions December 12, 2019
- Sex criminal sentenced to life throws pitcher, hits judge in head December 12, 2019
- Pakistan protest: Patients die as lawyers ransack Lahore hospital December 12, 2019
- General election 2019: Voters head to polls across the UK December 12, 2019