Share This On:
(GIS) – The Government Island Wide Network (GINET) Wi-Fi Zone for Dennery has officially been launched.
The Government Island Wide Network (GINET) Wi-Fi Project was officially launched at the Grande Riviere Human Resource Development Center in Dennery, on Tuesday June 6.
The joint initiative between the Republic of China (Taiwan) and Saint Lucia will allow constituents to enjoy free Wi-Fi.
Mr. Louis Liou, Councilor to Saint Lucia for the Republic of China (Taiwan) spoke of the project and its many advantages.
“This is a significant moment for the people of this community. From now on, you just need to use your local phone number to register and then enjoy the free Wi-Fi services,” Mr. Liou said. “As you are aware, the GINet project is a major co-operation venture undertaken by the Government of Saint Lucia and the Republic of China Taiwan. It commenced in 2015 with a budget of USD $4 million to enhance the internet penetration rate in Saint Lucia. All the equipment and technology were imported from Taiwan.”
Minister for Youth and Sports, Hon. Edmund Estephane expressed gratitude to the Republic of China for its continued generosity.
“We are here today as a result of the Information and Communication Technology Cooperation agreement between the Republic of China (Taiwan), and our government. Through this cooperation, we have benefited much from the opportunity to leverage the internet and technology experiences of our Taiwanese counterparts. We are thankful to the government of the Republic of China (Taiwan), for their generous assistance of the sum of USD$3.28 million dollars.”
The government of Saint Lucia provided the remainder of the funds to the sum of USD$0.72 million.
- Prime Minister talks improvements in education January 27, 2020 9:37 AM
- Castries Mayor meets LGBTQ representatives January 27, 2020 9:17 AM
- Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash January 26, 2020 6:04 PM
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM