Share This On:
A Martinique-based artiste with strong ties to Saint Lucia has released his first music video.
The artiste is Maurice Ventose, who goes by the stage name Tiripsamai. His single”Waiting for that Girl” — directed and produced by Yanisha Recordz in Martinique — was published on social media, particularly Youtube, on May 4, 2019. See the video below this photo as well as more information about Ventose’s budding musical career
Ventos, who was born on the French island of Martinique to a Martinique national and a Saint Lucian, was raised in Rose Hill, Castries. He returned to Martinique in 2012.
From a very young age, Ventose told St. Lucia News Online that he had a “strong appreciation” for roots/rock reggae — “a subgenre of reggae that deals with the everyday lives and aspirations of Africans and those in the African Diaspora” (Wikipedia).
Ventose said he enjoys listening to Bob Marley, Gregory Isaac, Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, as well as Chronix, Jah 9, Protoje and Skip Marley, among others.
CREDITS TC BROWN AND ‘LEEBO’
Though he has returned to the land of his birth, Ventose credits the growth of his musical roots to Saint Lucia .
While working for many years as a freelance bilingual tour guide with Cox and Company — from 1997 to 2012 — Ventose said he made “long-lasting friendships” with musicians in Saint Lucia, particularly TC Brown, the 2018 Saint Lucia calypso monarch, and Francis ‘Leebo’ De Lima, the versatile music producer who passed away from cancer in March 2018. He said these two individuals “had helped him a lot in getting out and discovering Saint Lucian talent first-hand”.
Ventose said, with the help of TC Brown, in 2002, he released his first song through Changa Productions, and performed the song during a Ky-Mani Marley show held at Indies night club.
He said De Lima had “helped him tremendously in not just performing techniques but the production of music”. He said the late producer was a very good friend who loved having “spirituals chats hours on hours” which he will always treasure.
Though the artiste returned to Martinique about seven years ago, he has continued to make strides with his tour-guide job and musical career in the French territory.
He disclosed that is currently in a roots/rock reggae band called MadinKush and works full-time with the tourism office in Fort de France as a bilingual tour guide.
His latest projects? Ventose is now collaborating with a local artist, Cherry Berry, at Yanishi recordz in Marin. Martinique.
He said the ‘Waiting for that Girl’ music video is the first of many productions to come under the Yanishi label.
Ventose further told St. Lucia News Online that although he is doing music from Martinique, Saint Lucia “will always be his first love” and he “intends to come back”.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM