The 3rd Annual Kweyol Poetry Competition, which will be held on Wednesday, October 23 at 7:30 pm, forms part of the Creole Heritage Month activities for this year.
The programme features music and storytelling alongside the poetry competition. Held at the Pyramid of the Alliance Francaise, this evening has proved to be one of the most popular and well attended in recent years.
A number of performers are expected this year from Martinique including popular poet and storyteller, Joby Bernabe.
Kwéyòl Oral Poetry Entrance Rules
1. The Kwéyòl Language Committee (KLC) of the FRC is pleased to announce its 3rd annual Kwéyòl poetry competition.
2. This competition is intended exclusively for pieces written in the Kwéyòl language from persons living in St. Lucia. Works submitted and performed during the competition should be new, unperformed and unpublished.
3. The competition is open to native Kwéyòl speakers or anyone who has learned to speak the language.
4. A judging panel made up of St. Lucian Kwéyòl speakers will award three prizes. The jury may make mention of poems that did not receive a prize. A Popular Choice poem prize will also be awarded.
5. The spelling to be used is preferably the one recommended by The KLC (the St. Lucian orthography) (as used in the Kwéyòl Dictionary).
6. Closing date for entries is Wednesday October 16th 2013. Each candidate will send ONE poem to:
Kweyol Poetry Competition
c/o The Folk Research Centre
FRC Mt. Pleasant, Box 514
Castries, St. Lucia, West Indies/Caribbean
* or Email: [email protected]; phone: 5201251.
Name, address, phone contacts, email etc should be included on a separate covering letter accompanying the poem.
7. The text will be computer-typed in minimum font size 12.
8. If works are found to be plagiarized, the person submitting the poem will be immediately disqualified.
9. 5 (five) finalists will compete during the final oral performance competition at The Pyramid, Alliance Francaise, Pt Seraphine, Castries on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm. 1 (one) other poem (not submitted) of the writer’s choice, must be presented on the evening of the finals. The finalists will perform 2 (two) poems at the finals. There will be two rounds of the competition.
10. Each of the three winners will receive a prize in accordance with the ranking of the poems. The results will be announced on the night of October 23, 2013 at the Alliance Francaise, Pt Seraphine Castries. Every attempt will be made to present prizes on that occasion.
11. Efforts will be made to publish prize-winning poems in a local newspaper.
12. Efforts will be made by the KLC to translate prize-winning poems into English, Spanish or French.