Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) – A Florida man is accused of living off his dead mom’s Social Security checks for 15 years — pocketing almost a quarter-million dollars, according to a report.
Richard Greenberg, 67, of Sunrise allegedly raked in more than $225,475 in improper funds since mother Rose Greenberg’s death in 2004, the Miami Herald reported.
Authorities launched an investigation after an audit revealed that Rose’s retirement income benefits were continuing after her death, the outlet reported.
The money went into Richard and his mother’s joint account, with the latest deposit made in July, the report said.
Surveillance images allegedly showed Richard withdrawing the deposits at a Wells Fargo ATM for his own use, the outlet reported.
Richard was arrested Nov. 19 with only $1,500 left in the bank from his alleged scheme, the Miami Herald reported. He is being charged with 55 counts of theft of government property.
If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
More International News Stories
- R Kelly charged with paying bribe before marrying Aaliyah December 6, 2019
- Our cell phones are causing more head and neck injuries, study shows December 6, 2019
- Flesh-eating bacteria linked to heroin use kills 7 in California December 6, 2019
- Doctors revive woman whose heart stopped for six hours December 6, 2019
- Banana duct-taped to wall art installation sells for $120k in Miami December 6, 2019
- Suit filed challenging social media disclosure rule for US visas December 6, 2019
- Uber reports more than 3,000 sexual assaults on rides in 2018 December 6, 2019