Share This On:
Team Saint Lucia is enjoying a decent run at the 2016 CBN/WINLOTT Windward Islands Schools’ (WIS) Games in St George’s, Grenada.
The 62-member team finished second in track and field, and has picked up five wins so far in the team sports, whilst being held to a draw in football.
The boys’ volleyball volleyball team defeated Dominica 16-25, 25-23, 25-23, 25-20 at the Carenage Sports Complex, then downed St Vincent and the Grenadines 25-4, 25-21, 25-20.
The girls’ volleyballers also enjoyed early success, beating Grenada 3-2.
In netball, there was a 39-38 win over St Vincent and the Grenadines, and a 41-25 loss to Grenada at the Tanteen Netball Courts.
Whereas the girls’ basketball won its first match over Grenada at the La Borie Indoor Court, the boys lost back-to-back games, 66-59 to Dominica, and 66-58 to Grenada.
The football team, of which much was expected, was held to a 1-1 draw with Grenada. The game at Queen’s Park featured a penalty miss and an own goal, both for Saint Lucia.
Saint Lucia appears well poised to avoid the fourth-place finish they have recorded the past few years.
The four-nation friendly games include over 280 athletes and officials from the Windward Islands of Dominica, Grenada, Saint Lucia, and St Vincent and the Grenadines.
The 2016 CBN/WINLOTT Windward Islands Schools’ Games will run until Saturday.
More Push notify Stories
- UPDATE: Saadia Byron’s semi-nude body was covered with stones November 11, 2017
- Sir Dwight Venner to be laid to rest next week December 29, 2016
- BREAKING: Sammy in Volcanoes squad for Nagico Regional Super50 December 22, 2016
- Public upset with ‘lenient’ sentence in fatal dangerous driving case December 21, 2016
- Hilaire on DSH project: “There is still a lot more to come out” December 20, 2016
- VIDEO: Police arrest two men in Castries mugging December 20, 2016
- UPDATED: Protest outside Parliament over DSH project December 20, 2016