Share This On:
(GUYANA CHRONICLE) — There was some degree of chaos as the staff of the Camp Street head office of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) were, yesterday (Tuesday 12, 2019) evacuated after a small fire ‘broke out’ on the third floor of the building.
According to the staff, they were carrying out their daily duties when they noticed smoke. There was also the smell of what was described as burning wires. As such, an alarm was raised and persons quickly took to the streets. They were initially told that it was a bomb threat, but were later notified that it wasn’t such.
The Guyana Fire Service arrived within minutes and was able to contain the fire. According to reports, there was minimal damage to the building and minor losses. Staffers were also allowed to resume duty.
The Guyana Fire Service is conducting an investigation to determine the origin of the fire.
More Guyana News Stories
- Guyana: Mahdia bus driver shot dead during argument over woman February 28, 2020
- Guyana: Woman kills husband in drunken brawl February 28, 2020
- Guyana begins search for company to market its crude February 27, 2020
- Guyana: Teenager found guilty of raping boy, 7 February 27, 2020
- Guyana: Port Kaituma miner stabbed to death with scissors February 25, 2020
- Guyana: Teen girl commits suicide after alleged sexual assault February 24, 2020
- Guyana celebrates 1st oil shipment after major discovery February 21, 2020
- Guyana: Cop charged with sexual assault of woman February 20, 2020