Share This On:
(SNO) — Several houses were damaged or destroyed as a result of a fire that occurred in Wilton’s Yard, Castries on Thursday evening.
Reports of the fire razing at least three houses began to surface about 11 p.m. last evening.
There were no reports of injuries or death.
Firefighters have been credited for responding quickly but they met residents feverishly trying to out the blaze themselves.
In a civilian video interview making its rounds on social media, a resident identified by the interviewer as “Peter Reynolds,” said three houses were completely destroyed and a “couple other dwellings got some damage”.
When asked by the interviewer — who is also a resident — if the fire service’s response was quick, Reynolds said: “Of course… but at the end of the day it was wooden structures so there is little they could have done so you can’t blame the fire service.”
Towards the end of the video, as persons are seen removing damaged or destroyed items, the interviewer notes that its the Easter holidays and appeals for help for the affected residents who are in need of clothing, food, and other materials. SEE THE VIDEOS AT THE END OF THE STORY
The cause of the fire is unknown but investigations are underway, according to sources.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM