Share This On:
(NEWSROOM GUYANA) — The Guyana Fire Service is investigating the cause of a fire that destroyed the Shaheed’s Girls’ Orphanage at Oleander Gardens, East Coast Demerara early Saturday morning.
Approximately 18 girls and two caretakers have been displaced as a result of the fire, which erupted at around 6am.
A Police report noted that one of the orphans informed one of the caretakers that smoke was emanating from the upper flat of the building; the fire service was contacted but by the time they arrived, the upper flat was already engulfed in flames.
News Room understands that the building is valued at $50M and is not insured.
More Guyana News Stories
- Guyana begins search for company to market its crude February 27, 2020
- Guyana: Teenager found guilty of raping boy, 7 February 27, 2020
- Guyana: Port Kaituma miner stabbed to death with scissors February 25, 2020
- Guyana: Teen girl commits suicide after alleged sexual assault February 24, 2020
- Guyana celebrates 1st oil shipment after major discovery February 21, 2020
- Guyana: Cop charged with sexual assault of woman February 20, 2020