Following further investigations into the death of Virgin Atlantic Crew member Quinton Garrathy, the case file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Victoria Charles-Clarke for recommendations.
This was confirmed by Police Public Relations Officer Aniel Innocent.
Innocent told St. Lucia News Online (SNO) today, September 2: “No one has been charged so far, but once the file has returned, if the recommendations ask to charge the individuals, then the police will do that, but so far no charges have not been made.”
Garrathy was killed in a vehicular accident near the Rodney Bay Marina entrance. He was hit by a black Hyundai SUV, registration number PG657, as he attempted to cross the road, close to 1:38 on Sunday, August 3. He had just disembarked a minibus at the bus stop, opposite the food vans, eyewitnesses said.
The SUV was being driven by 18-year-old Sebastien King of Gros Islet. Police sources had said Sebastien’s insurance and driver’s license were valid. As is customary, the teen was taken into police custody where he gave a statement and was then released.
A post mortem examination conducted on the body of Garrathy on Monday, August 11, revealed that he died from cerebral (brain) hemorrhage, secondary to blunt force trauma.
Garrathy was a cabin crew member of Virgin Atlantic airline for some 15 years and was staying at a local hotel here at the time of the accident.
Garrathy is survived by his wife – also a crew member of Virgin Atlantic – and a three-month-old daughter. He celebrated his first wedding anniversary on July 9.
The British national was scheduled to leave the island on Monday, August 4 at 5:45 p.m. He was described by colleagues as “young, energetic, fun-loving, and popular”.