William Celestin was reportedly bitten on his hand while attending to his farm.
Portia Edmunds, daughter of Celestin, said her father was transported to St Jude Hospital by a friend shortly after the incident.
The distraught woman believes that her father may have been bitten by a Fer-de-Lance snake. Celestin told relatives that the snake was about six feet long.
The Fer-de-Lance is considered the most poisonous or venomous snake on island.
The concerned woman told St Lucia News Online (SNO) that her father was later transferred to the Victoria Hospital (VH) in Castries where he received treatment since there was no anti-venom treatment at St. Jude Hospital.
“He didn’t receive any treatment at St. Jude Hospital; they only covered the wound. He was not even transported by an ambulance, his friend had to transport him to VH,” she added.
Edmunds told SNO that doctors at Victoria Hospital are monitoring her father’s condition very closely.
According to doctors, the delay in treatment may affect Celestin’s internal organs, Edmunds added.
Snake bite have resulted in two deaths in St. Lucia in recent times.
CANARIES INCIDENT: In May 2014, Gregory Winston, 56, of Canaries succumbed to snake bite. He was bitten while sleeping in a hut on his farm. Winston’s niece, Diana Pierre had told Saint Lucia News Online (SNO) on May 19 that it took Winston a few hours after the attack before he got help. There was no telephone service on the hill top. With the support of his girlfriend, who was asleep with him in the hut, Winston walked through clumps of bushes to get assistance from villagers. An ambulance was called to transport him to Victoria Hospital. Pierre recalled Winston’s girlfriend saying that he felt like his arm was “broken”, and by the time he reached at the hospital, the colour of his skin had turned black and blue. Winston was later advised by doctors that they would need to amputate his arm. He disagreed and opted for surgery to remove the venom from the snakebite instead. However, SNO was told doctors warned that Winston could have a 50/50 chance of survival with surgery. Subsequent to the surgery, he complained about severe pain in his arm. He was taken to the Intensive Care Unit where he passed away. Pierre said there was allegedly no anti-venom insulin to treat her uncle. It was not Winston’s first bite from a snake.
MICOUD INCIDENT: A decomposing body with a dread-locks hairstyle was discovered on a river bank by a party hunting for wild pigs on Saturday, January 19, 2013 at about 4 p.m. in the forested area of Quilese, Micoud. The body was identified by a family member as that of 54-year-old Paul Theodore of Fond St. Jacques, Soufriere who was last seen on Thursday, January 17, 2013. A post mortem conducted on Friday, January 25, 2013 revealed that Theodore died as a result of cardio genetic shock consistent with snake bite.