Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) learnt with deepest sorrow about the passing away, on March 17 2017, of Sir Derek Walcott, the Saint Lucian born Nobel Laureate.
Sir Derek was an internationally-acclaimed poet and writer, whose epic literary works enabled the world to appreciate and embrace the rich culture of the Caribbean. We are grateful for his contribution to the promotion of cultural ties between Taiwan and Saint Lucia.
Sir Derek was invited to Taiwan in 2002 and 2008, and met with the Mayor of Taipei. The Embassy also had the privilege of cooperating with the Saint Lucian Government in a project to rehabilitate Sir Derek’s childhood house at 17 Chausee Road, Castries. The Walcott House was officially re-opened in January 2016.
We would like to express our sincere condolences to Sir Derek’s family.
More Culture/History Stories
- Nobel Laureate Festival Celebrating Excellence: Vision 20/20 excels January 30, 2020
- Walcott Open House January 20, 2020
- Nobel Laureate Festival to launch, Wednesday January 6, 2020
- St. Lucian community in London gather for National Day December 13, 2019
- Valuing our heritage: Through the eyes of communities December 3, 2019
- Saint Lucia government to grow new ‘orange economy’ November 7, 2019
- Folk Research Centre gets assistance October 27, 2019
- Prize-giving ceremony for Kwéyòl Poetry Competition on today October 10, 2019
- Saint Lucia participates in Taiwan National Day celebrations October 9, 2019