Share This On:
Second-half goals from Rodolfo Zelaya and Carlos Portillo earned El Salvador a 2-0 win over Saint Lucia on Tuesday (Oct. 15) in Group B action of League B of the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League at the Daren Sammy Cricket Ground in Gros Islet, Saint Lucia.
The visitors had the bulk of the chances in the first half, with Oscar Ceren having three cracks at goal in the first 45 minutes, including a stinging effort that rocketed off the crossbar.
Saint Lucia’s best movements forward came on the counterattack and it was Mailk St. Prix who forced El Salvador goalkeeper Henry Hernandez into a diving save midway through.
St. Prix had another good look at goal in the 63rd minute but was unable to steer his header goalward.
Saint Lucia would come to rue the lack of finishing as Zelaya managed to fire home a shot past Saint Lucia goalkeeper Vino Barclett for a 1-0 lead in the 68th minute.
The hosts looked for an equalizer, but they could not find a way past the Cuscatleco defense and Carlos Portillo polished things off with a cool right-footed finish in the 88th for the 2-0 scoreline.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM