Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — During the 2019/2020 budget debate, the Minister for Sustainable Development Hon. Dr. Gale Rigobert announced that Saint Lucia would be taking steps to reduce the country’s dependence on selected single-use plastics, as well as other food service containers made of Polystyrene (PS) and Expanded PS (EPS), also known as Styrofoam.
Following the policy announcement, the Department of Sustainable Development continued working with its key stakeholders. This was to ensure that adequate preparation was made to effect 1) the ban on the importation and 2) the subsequent ban on the use, sale, and manufacture of Styrofoam and selected plastic food service containers. Discussions resulted in an agreement to introduce the respective bans on August 1, 2019, and August 1, 2020, respectively.
This means, that any Styrofoam and selected plastic food service containers arriving in Saint Lucia after July 31, 2019, will not be released by the Department of Customs and Excise. Over a 12-month period, the use of these items will be phased out from August 1, 2019, until July 31, 2020. We encourage stakeholders to complement our efforts and begin sourcing environmentally friendly alternatives.
The Department wishes to assure the public that the government remains committed to working with all stakeholders, in preserving our environment and protecting our health.
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 18, 2019 6:04 AM
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM