Share This On:
(SNO) — With the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) moving to digitize some of its courses, Education Minister Dr. Gale Rigobert said some of the island’s technical drawing classrooms will be transformed into what she described as “smart classrooms”.
She said this will be part of overall repairs done on schools across the island during the Christmas break.
“Yes, we will be doing repairs during the Christmas break but most importantly in keeping with our own thrust to ensure that we realize an acceptable degree of integration of ICTs into our curriculum, we will also be transforming some of our technical drawing classrooms into smart classrooms,” she stated.
The CXC is also planning to deliver some of its exams electronically.
“So in preparation for that, we need to ensure that our schools are retrofitted with smart classrooms and accompanying curricula, so as to enhance the digital competency of our students,” Dr. Rigobert explained. “It is especially critical for technical drawing given the curriculum has already moved in that direction, more so than with the other subjects.”
She said the move will be done not only in secondary schools.
“If you have reviewed some of what was shared not only regarding the Equip Project but also with respect to the smart classroom initiative, you will realize that the conversion of classrooms into smart classrooms is not limited to secondary schools,” she stated. “It will be foolhardy for any policymaker wanting to cure the digital divide in this country and to raise the employability of of our students to restrict the smart classroom initiative to secondary schools only.”
A smart classroom is described as a technology-enhanced classroom that foster opportunities for teaching and learning by integrating learning technology, such as computers, specialized software, audience response technology, assistive listening devices, networking, and audio/visual capabilities.
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM
- Mayor Francis unhappy over disarmament of cop by bandits November 19, 2019 7:34 AM
- CSA happy over collective agreement with LUCELEC but … November 19, 2019 7:19 AM
- Saint Lucia Forensic Lab working to build public confidence, says director November 19, 2019 4:31 AM
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM