Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The Department of Infrastructure, Ports, and Energy is committed to improving the island’s infrastructure during the 2019/2020 financial year.
This year some EC$79.8 million has been allocated for ongoing roads, bridges and maintenance/rehabilitation projects.
Of the $79.8 million, $11.4 million will go toward the rehabilitation of roads.
Minister for Infrastructure, Ports, and Energy, Hon. Stephenson King elaborated on the plans during his contribution to the debate on the Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure 2019/2020.
“The road maintenance program will continue aggressively; and this year, unlike previous years where the program would shut down at the end of the financial year, we have been able to maintain the program into the new financial year through a mechanism that allows us to be able to procure sufficient material so as to allow us to continue the road maintenance program,” he said.
A major project to be continued by the ministry this financial year is the desilting of the island’s rivers.
- Saint Lucia and Republic of Kosovo sign visa waiver agreement
- Saint Lucia considering phased reopening of Grade Six and Form Five classes
- Mother and children homeless after Ciceron fire
- UPDATE: Fire on abandoned building in Castries now under control (+photos and videos)
- BREAKING NEWS: Fire in Castries city (+photos and videos)
- Arthur, the first named storm of the hurricane season, could form this weekend
- UPDATE: Man shot dead at Dennery Fishing Complex identified
- LIAT extends suspension of passenger services
- Bay Gardens Resorts starts relief fund for its staff