Share This On:
(DOMINICA NEWS ONLINE) — In keeping with his October 12th announcement that the next general election would be held within 100 days, Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has called the election for the 6th of December 2019.
Parliament will be dissolved on the 6th of November. Nomination day will be Tuesday, 19th November 2019.
The announcement in itself could not have come as a shock to Dominicans given the prime minister’s previous announcement. However, the timing – at a Labour Party Got Talent event at Goodwill this evening – may have taken some by surprise.
He came on stage wearing the pair of pink shoes which he had earlier said would signal the announcement.
Skerrit’s announcement of an election date which is just over a month away, suggests that he does not intend to implement the electoral reforms which the United workers Party (UWP), the Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM) and other civic groups have been demanding.
At the centre of that campaign for electoral reform, which has been waging for several years, are the verification of the electors list and the introduction of a voter ID card.
The campaign has taken the form of public rallies, consultations, protests and more recently, the presentation of petitions to Gerald Burton, demanding his resignation as Chairman of the Electoral Commission for failing to implement electoral reform, and to the President of Dominica, Charles Savarin requesting that he remove Burton from office.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM