Share This On:
Good Friday was not so good for the visiting Dominica netball team.
They were allegedly robbed by a gunman shortly after arriving in St. Lucia late Friday afternoon.
The incident occurred just after they had “dinner” at KFC in Castries and were returning to a guest house.
Team Manager Fiona Vidal said: “We were walking less than two minutes from KFC when I felt a pull. When I turned back, he pointed a gun to my head and say give me the money. I had no choice.”
Vidal said she handed over a bag that contained over $10,000 in cash, as well as travel documents for all team members, and personal items.
The funds were intended for food and accommodation during their stay in St. Lucia where the team is participating in a friendly tri-series against St. Lucia, Vidal said.
Despite the disappointment, the Dominicans went on to defeat the St. Lucia team.
Speaking to the local press after their win Vidal said: “We are thankful to the sports ministry officals and Miget Pierre for their assistance so far.”
The team is expected to remain on island until Thursday. They hope to recover their personal belongings and travel documents before their final games on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- BREAKING NEWS: Fire at Voyager building in Castries November 21, 2019 1:59 PM
- BTC receives new laptops November 21, 2019 10:19 AM
- US representative to OAS says political situation in Dominica ‘worrisome’ November 21, 2019 8:29 AM
- OBE Award recipients get high praise from PM Chastanet November 20, 2019 4:00 PM
- Anse La Raye fire victim gets donation in rebuilding efforts November 20, 2019 2:52 PM
- Bishop of Roseau describes situation in Dominica after unrest as “sad” November 20, 2019 2:46 PM
- Sandals team members receive first class health care on the job November 20, 2019 12:12 PM
- Showers, isolated thunderstorms expected during the next 24 hours November 20, 2019 11:14 AM