Share This On:
Good Friday was not so good for the visiting Dominica netball team.
They were allegedly robbed by a gunman shortly after arriving in St. Lucia late Friday afternoon.
The incident occurred just after they had “dinner” at KFC in Castries and were returning to a guest house.
Team Manager Fiona Vidal said: “We were walking less than two minutes from KFC when I felt a pull. When I turned back, he pointed a gun to my head and say give me the money. I had no choice.”
Vidal said she handed over a bag that contained over $10,000 in cash, as well as travel documents for all team members, and personal items.
The funds were intended for food and accommodation during their stay in St. Lucia where the team is participating in a friendly tri-series against St. Lucia, Vidal said.
Despite the disappointment, the Dominicans went on to defeat the St. Lucia team.
Speaking to the local press after their win Vidal said: “We are thankful to the sports ministry officals and Miget Pierre for their assistance so far.”
The team is expected to remain on island until Thursday. They hope to recover their personal belongings and travel documents before their final games on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Three suspected cases of coronavirus in Guadeloupe; tests in progress February 28, 2020 2:52 PM
- Caricom holds emergency meeting February 28, 2020 2:22 PM
- Iconic Kassav singer hospitalized in Martinique February 28, 2020 12:00 PM
- Family loses everything in Sarrot fire February 28, 2020 11:13 AM
- SLBS warns of illegal cigarettes on market February 28, 2020 11:03 AM
- Regional travel taxes comparatively low – Fedee February 28, 2020 10:33 AM
- Caribbean on high alert for deadly Covid-19 February 28, 2020 10:18 AM
- Labour Department investigating Hylyne Poultry complaints February 28, 2020 9:08 AM
- Suspected case of coronavirus in BVI – Local health officials thrust into ’emergency meeting’ February 27, 2020 3:43 PM