Share This On:
(SNO) — As Dominica’s manufacturing sector continues to recover from the devastating effects of Hurricane Maria, furniture makers are hoping to learn from their counterpart in Saint Lucia.
Last week, four wooden furniture manufacturers and one mattress manufacturer visited Dominica on a trip organised by the Saint Lucia Trade Export Promotion Agency (TEPA).
President of the Dominica Manufacturing Association (DMA), Severin McKenzie, said many furniture manufacturers in Dominica are struggling to rebuild their livelihoods after the storm and they hope to look at their counterparts in Saint Lucia for some level of guidance.
“We thought that it was necessary that we could look at our counterparts in Saint Lucia with the intention to showcase what they are doing in Saint Lucia,” he said.
McKenzie said that he has looked around a number of retail outlets in Dominica and people are buying the same type of furniture they had bought before the hurricane that was made of modified wood which swells under water.
“And with the demand for timber furniture and with the limitations that we have with our manpower to produce, we thought that it was a good idea that we invite those furniture manufacturers from Saint Lucia, and we are hoping that it will be a collaborative event that our local manufacturers will see what the Saint Lucians are doing and see what we can do in meeting the demand of giving people proper furniture,” McKenzie said.
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM