Share This On:
Saint Lucia’s Levern Spencer missed qualifying for the women’s high jump final by one place as the 2019 IAAF World Championships opened in Doha, Qatar on Friday, September 27.
From a starting field of 30, Spencer finished 13th with a height of 1.92m, the same height as four other jumpers who made the final.
Spencer entered the competition jumping in 12th position from Group B. Athletes had to clear 1.94m or make the top 12 overall to get to the final.
In her first attempt at 1.70 metres, she passed but missed her first attempt at 1.80m. At the time nine women had cleared 1.80m in Group B.
Spencer finally cleared 1.80 on her second attempt at that distance — sitting in ninth place in her group, at the time.
She moved up to sixth position with a first-time clearance at 1.85m. She settled down and cleared 1.89m on her third attempt. At the time, only seven of the 15 women in Group B (which includes Spencer) had made that height, but 10 had done so in Group A.
Up next: 1.92m. This height was expected to settle the top 12. And Spencer was successful on her second try at 1.92m. But this wasn’t enough to make the final as the officials still eyed 1.94m for qualifying.
In 13th position, Spencer, unfortunately, missed all three attempts at 1.94m and finished in that position — missing the finals by just one position.
Despite not reaching the finals, one must be reminded that Spencer has made the IAAF World Championships final on three occasions. This is her eighth consecutive time qualifying to represent Saint Lucia at the highest level in world athletics.
She previously made the final in 2007 Osaka (her second senior World Championships); 2013, Moscow; and 2015, Beijing (along with Jeanelle Scheper).
She was also the oldest athlete in Friday’s field, one of just eight women born in the 1980s.
Saint Lucia’s next participation at Doha 2019 will be through Albert Reynolds in men’s javelin throw qualification next week.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM