Share This On:
(GIS) – A number of events are being planned by the Department of Youth Development and Sports with the collaboration of the National Youth Council (NYC), for the celebration of Youth Month in April.
During a press conference held on March 21, the department unveiled a calendar of activities.
Acting Deputy Permanent Secretary, Liota Charlemagne-Mason, explained that youth month is a time when the talents and achievements of young persons are recognized.
“Some of the primary objectives of youth month is to advance participation in socio, economic, cultural and religious activities to celebrate and highlight the outstanding contributions and achievements of Saint Lucia’s youth, and to showcase and display the best of youth talent,” she said. “We also hope to promote national pride and goodwill and foster national community and youth development, but most of all we want to empower our young people.”
She added that the activities will lead up to the National Youth Awards.
“The month will culminate with the National Youth Awards which is slated for April 28 and this is when we will celebrate everything outstanding about our young people. The nominations have been open and I want to encourage all those involved with the youth to let our outstanding young people be counted,” she said. “Please submit nominations as the deadline for nominations is on March 23. We are hoping that we will have a large submission of young people because we know that young people are doing great things out there.”
Activities planned for youth month include: a Youth Overhaul on April 8, the Wayne Louis Memorial Lecture on April 14, the Youth Festival on April 20, Youth Service Week from April 16 to 21, the Caribbean Youth Summit on April 26 and 27, and the National Youth Awards on April 28.
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM