Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Digicel St Lucia, through their partnership with the Daren Sammy Foundation, has launched the inaugural Digicel Daren Sammy Cricket Academy 2018, a much-needed platform for the overall growth and development of cricket on the island.
The launch was held on Thursday, February 15, 2018 at the Harbor Club in Gros Islet, with Daren Sammy, Digicel St Lucia’s Brand Ambassador, Siobhan James-Alexander, Digicel St Lucia’s CEO and John Eugene, Head Coach of the Academy, in attendance.
The Academy will be held from April 03 – 06 at the Daren Sammy National Cricket Stadium and targets aspiring cricketers between the ages of 12-15 to years. The Academy will allow 20 deserving participants the opportunity to be mentored and coached by the nation’s best in cricket as well as an international coach.
Participants will be exposed to both on-the field training as well educational/personal development components. The aspiring cricketers will be trained over a four-day period in fitness, nutrition, physiotherapy and mental health.
Speaking on behalf of Digicel, Siobhan James-Alexander, CEO, said “The Digicel Daren Sammy Cricket Academy is specifically designed to provide additional tools to players recognising that the raw talent may already exist.
Digicel is happy to put its name to a programme which cover areas such as nutrition, mental focus and physical fitness, aspects which are not readily available in any other Academy. In true Digicel style we needed this to be an experience with a difference that fulfills our mandate to support youth development.”
She added, “As a total communications and entertainment provider Digicel will continue to remain steadfast on our commitment to connect our customers to the things they love. As cricket is a big part of our culture across the Caribbean region, Digicel is extremely excited to be partnering with the Daren Sammy Foundation to provide such mentorship opportunities which we hope will ultimately preserve cricket in St Lucia.”
More Sports Stories
- Call for Congress of the Sports and Combat Sambo Federation Saint Lucia February 13, 2020
- National Independence Tennis Tournament 2020 February 11, 2020
- Digicel SPLT2020 draft February 11, 2020
- Five dynamic swimmers will take the plunge at UANA February 10, 2020
- Racing for love – Independence Day celebration February 10, 2020
- 2nd annual ‘Strides of Unity’ youth baton relay February 6, 2020
- National Basketball players prepare for four regional tournaments February 3, 2020
- St. Lucia Football Association hosts Football Awards 2020 February 3, 2020