Share This On:
Did you know St. Lucia, Dominica, and St. Vincent has adopted a species of parrot as their national bird?
The Jako (Amazona versicolor) is the St. Lucia Parrot, the Sisserou Parrot (Amazona imperialis) belongs to Dominica and Amazona guildingii is the St. Vincent Parrot.
The St. Lucia and Dominica Parrot are used to support these islands’ Coat of Arms. All three parrots are indigenous to the respective Caribbean islands.
Did you know Trinidad is often referred to as “The Land of the Hummingbird”, but the somewhat larger most spectacular bird inhabitant is the Scarlet Ibis?
Did you know the smallest bird is the Bee Hummingbird – Mellisuga Helenae? The bird was described by Spanish naturalist Juan Lembeye in 1850 and it is endemic to Cuba. It is only 5-6 cm (2 inches) in length and weighs less than a U.S. penny, only slightly heavier than a paperclip.
Source: The Ultimate Caribbean Quiz Book by John Gilmore – 2003
Photo credit: http://forestryeeunit.blogspot.com
Photo credit: https://www.bing.com/images
This feature runs every Thursday. It is compiled by daughter of the soil Anselma Aimable, a former agricultural officer and former correspondent for Caribbean Net News, who has a deep interest in local culture and history. Send ideas and tips to [email protected]
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM
- Hilaire continues to sell out Saint Lucia – UWP December 6, 2019 12:52 PM
- Dominicans vote amid fears of violence December 6, 2019 9:50 AM
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM