Share This On:
Did you know St. Lucia, Dominica, and St. Vincent has adopted a species of parrot as their national bird?
The Jako (Amazona versicolor) is the St. Lucia Parrot, the Sisserou Parrot (Amazona imperialis) belongs to Dominica and Amazona guildingii is the St. Vincent Parrot.
The St. Lucia and Dominica Parrot are used to support these islands’ Coat of Arms. All three parrots are indigenous to the respective Caribbean islands.
Did you know Trinidad is often referred to as “The Land of the Hummingbird”, but the somewhat larger most spectacular bird inhabitant is the Scarlet Ibis?
Did you know the smallest bird is the Bee Hummingbird – Mellisuga Helenae? The bird was described by Spanish naturalist Juan Lembeye in 1850 and it is endemic to Cuba. It is only 5-6 cm (2 inches) in length and weighs less than a U.S. penny, only slightly heavier than a paperclip.
Source: The Ultimate Caribbean Quiz Book by John Gilmore – 2003
Photo credit: http://forestryeeunit.blogspot.com
Photo credit: https://www.bing.com/images
This feature runs every Thursday. It is compiled by daughter of the soil Anselma Aimable, a former agricultural officer and former correspondent for Caribbean Net News, who has a deep interest in local culture and history. Send ideas and tips to [email protected]
- SLP still wants to know: ‘Who is really paying for the horses?’ October 22, 2019 6:06 PM
- Donavan Phillip scores all goals in CCSS 7-1 win over Corinth October 22, 2019 9:49 AM
- Canada election: Justin Trudeau set to remain in power – but with minority government October 22, 2019 9:19 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Antoine Destang breaks 13-year-old swim record in Canada October 22, 2019 8:56 AM
- PM Chastanet, Pacific Islands explore development of SIDS resilience facility October 21, 2019 11:09 PM
- US hospital ship to offer free medical services in Jamaica October 21, 2019 10:55 PM
- Trinidad: Lawsuit filed against Facebook user who named man a “bandit” October 21, 2019 9:29 PM
- New tourist attraction ‘Glittering Sands’ opens in Anse-la-Raye October 21, 2019 9:20 PM
- Saint Lucia-born student wins regional essay writing competition October 21, 2019 8:10 PM