Did you know although Protestantism became the dominant religion in St. Lucia at the cession of 1814, it was not until 1819 that measures were taken for the location of the Clergyman for the Church of England?
On the 13 of May 1819, in compliance with an order of the Prince Regent in Council, a tax was imposed upon all the inhabitants, other than the Roman Catholics. This was for the purpose of providing for the maintenance for the Protestant Establishment of the Colony. This mode of support continued in operation for some time.
Prior to 1824, the colonial Clergy was considered to be under the supervision of the Bishop of London. By Letters Patent bearing the date July 24, 1824, St. Lucia, Barbados, Trinidad, Tobago, Grenada, St. Vincent, Dominica, Montserrat, St. Christopher, Nevis and the Virgin Islands were created into the Diocese and See of a Bishop, called the “Bishopric of Barbados and the Leeward Islands.
The sum of £4,200 per annum was placed at the disposal of the Bishop for the appointment of Ministers, Catechists and school-masters, subject to the approval of the Lords of the Treasury or the Secretary of State. The number of Protestants, including Presbyterians was about four hundred.
In 1842, the services of a second Clergyman was obtained for the parish of Soufriѐre although there was no church in that district yet, but they were considering erecting one as soon as possible.
Source: St. Lucia: Historical, Statistical and Descriptive by Henry H. Breen – 1844