Share This On:
ESPN – Like so many others across the world, Marvin Jonestuned into the 100-meter dash at the Rio Olympics on Sunday to see some of the fastest men in the world run. It was a bit more personal for the Detroit Lions receiver, though.
Jones is close with former Lions running back Jahvid Best, who made his Olympics debut for St. Lucia on Saturday in the first round of the 100 meters. And Best, well, he was in the same heat as the eventual gold medalist, Usain Bolt.
“I know everybody that we played with was eyeing him,” Jones said. “Just to see him go and be in the Olympics, that’s huge. Out of millions of people who run, you’re one of the guys that can run with some of the greats.
“He ran with Usain.”
Ran with is pejorative in sprinting terms. Bolt won their first round heat in 10.07 seconds. Two lanes over from Bolt was Best, who finished seventh in the heat at 10.39 seconds and did not qualify for the semifinals.
Jones said he has “never seen anybody faster on the field” when it came to Best in football. In football, that made life a little bit easier for Jones because it meant not having to block quite as long. But knowing that also put the speed of most football players into perspective.
As fast as they may be, they don’t come close to some of the top sprinters in the world.
“Oh yeah, definitely. I mean, come on,” Jones said. “[Best] was pushing it. He was pushing the limit and those guys are jogging 9.9s. But he’s definitely among the fastest. When you go to the Olympics, you’re among the fastest in the world.”
More Sports Stories
- DASH 2020 set for weekend launch January 21, 2020
- Hero CPL announces tournament’s economic impact on St Lucia January 21, 2020
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020
- West Indies U-19s all but qualify for semi-finals at World Cup January 20, 2020
- Simmons, Pollard, Bravo give West Indies series-levelling win January 20, 2020
- St Lucia Tennis Association to host first annual awards ceremony January 15, 2020
- 10th World ARC sets sail from Saint Lucia January 13, 2020