Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – The Department of Tourism, Information & Broadcasting, through the OECS Regional Tourism Competitiveness Project (ORTCP), concluded another five (5) day workshop for approximately fifty (50) vendors of the Castries market, on Wednesday August 15th, 2018.
This second group of vendors who received the training comprised mainly women. This brings the total number of vendors trained under the project to ninety-two (92).
In demonstrating continued support to the initiative, Mayor of Castries, Mr Peterson Francis, addressed the vendors during the workshop, noting his confidence that the training would help to perpetuate a new culture among vendors – “a culture that showcases a difference in standards and operational habits, a culture that is fashioned after successful business models, a culture that breaks from the norm, and one which displays open-mindedness and progressive change.”
The Mayor encouraged the vendors to not simply embrace the training opportunity to help them improve their “competitiveness and competencies”, but to recognise that they need to deepen their relationships and foster partnerships, through a well-structured Vendors Association.
The training, was once again delivered by lead facilitator James Crockett, who hosted the workshop for the craft and souvenir vendors, while personnel from the Division of Environmental Health of the Ministry of Health & Wellness delivered a simultaneous workshop on food safety to food vendors.
Once again, Crockett inspired vendors to be different through re-invention: “you are only limited by your imagination. Think, for example, of how you might be able to make a T-Shirt special and unique. Become a product specialist – explore specializing – tap into your personality, and use this as an impetus to bring uniqueness to your booth, your products and/or your skills, in order to attract more sales,” Crockett stressed.
The vendors also received presentations from Export Saint Lucia, BELFUND, SEDU, the Bureau of Standards, and the Department of Physical Planning.
The official closing for the training programme will be commemorated in early September with a grand graduation ceremony.
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020 2:52 PM
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM
- Alert of “Assured” brand products January 16, 2020 3:20 PM
- Government aims to reduce serious crime by 45 percent January 16, 2020 2:33 PM
- 2020 Saint Lucia Summer Festival launched January 16, 2020 1:28 PM
- BVI: ‘Earthquake swarm’ leaves researchers puzzled and DDM on ‘high alert’ January 16, 2020 11:37 AM
- St Lucian artist Shaaiae collaborates with Gaza international artist Shawn Storm January 16, 2020 9:09 AM
- Central Statistical Office commences mapping for 2020 census January 15, 2020 11:34 AM