Share This On:
(GIS) – A regional initiative which seeks to integrate water, land, and ecosystems management in Caribbean Small Island Developing States was launched in Saint Lucia on April 8, by the Forest Division of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Physical Planning, Natural Resources and Cooperatives, in collaboration with the Fond St. Jacques Development Committee.
The IWeco project is a regional initiative funded by the Global Environmental Facility and is being implemented by the United Nations Environmental Programme.
The project will apply a “Ridge to Reef” approach in addressing many of the issues relating to sustainable water, land, biodiversity management and conservation within the Soufriere watershed with an aim to mitigate deteriorating conditions from the forest to the sea.
Several initiatives such as reforestation, rehabilitation of lands along critical ridges, capacity building and public awareness will be funded under the project.
The launch was held on the grounds of the Roman Catholic Church in Fond St. Jacques and took the form of a community fair with several attractions, including the sale of local products, crafts, entertainment, and the display of talents. The fair was to create awareness for the objectives of the project.
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 18, 2019 6:04 AM
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM