Share This On:
The 2019 Groovy Soca Monarch title belongs to Dennery Segment artiste Sly who represented the Vye Twizeen Boyz.
Sly, whose real name is Sylvinus Charles, is a 27-year-old fire officer attached to the Micoud Fire Station. He won the competition, held at the Sab Playing Field, with a total of 378 points.
Sly told reporters after collecting his trophy and crown that his winning song ‘Mix Up’ is not about a personal situation. He said he came up with the melody for the song while driving up to Castries one day.
Entering the competition for the first time and going up against more experienced competitors like Mantius, Invader and Ricky T, Sly said he told himself that he has to “push himself” and do his best. He said he normally wrote songs with storylines that people can relate to, and that’s what he did with ‘Mix Up’ — coupled with good presentation — he was able to take home the crown.
“I am really grateful, I gave my best,” he told the media, adding that his team released a new song today.
The artiste has dedicated his win to his newborn baby. He showed reporters a photo of his baby.
Third runner-up (4th place): Cock Up (song), Invader (artiste), 367 points
Second runner-up (3rd place): Pretty on Purpose, Shemmy J, 369 points
First runner-up (2nd place): Just a Friend, Ricky T, 370 points
Winner, Monarch: Mix Up, Vye Twizeen Boyz/Sly, 378 points.
Last year’s competition was won by King Arthur (Arthur Allain) who didn’t participate this year.
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM
- Hilaire continues to sell out Saint Lucia – UWP December 6, 2019 12:52 PM
- Dominicans vote amid fears of violence December 6, 2019 9:50 AM
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM