Share This On:
The December Festivals have been wowing visitors with a mix of entertainment and spectacular lighting at the Derek Walcott Square in Castries.
Formerly the Festival of Light Celebrations (Lantern Competition, Festival of Carols and Festival of Light Ceremony), the event started on December 7 when lanterns in various categories were presented for judging and admiration.
Over 63 lanterns were displayed at the competition, which is the culmination of a series of training sessions.
This year saw 80 persons taking part in the training sessions which took place in Castries, Desruisseaux and Laborie, and this resulted in an increase in under-15s taking part in the competition.
Buoyed by this success, the team is eager to bring even more innovation and development to next year’s lantern competition.
On December 8, the National Cultural Centre was open for visitors, as choral groups, soloists and musicians put on an excellent performance in the Festival of Carols under the patronage of Her Excellency, Governor General Dame Pearlette Louisy.
The sights, sounds and tastes transformed the streets of Castries on December 12 as the Festival of Light captured festival visitors with visual imagination.
This festival, which celebrates the triumph of light conquering dark, good overcoming evil and the renewal of life, was this year celebrated under the theme “A nation’s wish for hope, peace and joy”.
The bustling city centre came alive with music, dancing and a street parade, while the Derek Walcott Square was transformed into a performance venue, with stalls offering everything from traditional Saint Lucian cuisine to clothing, jewellery and toys.
The December Festivals was hailed as a fusion of light, sound, and movement. The overall event ambiance was designed and curated by the Cultural Development Foundation, and some of today’s most exciting fine and performing artists participated.
More Culture/History Stories
- Saint Lucia government to grow new ‘orange economy’ November 7, 2019
- Folk Research Centre gets assistance October 27, 2019
- Prize-giving ceremony for Kwéyòl Poetry Competition on today October 10, 2019
- Saint Lucia participates in Taiwan National Day celebrations October 9, 2019
- Felix: “We will have Jounen Kweyol, Choiseul style” October 7, 2019
- Saint Lucian delegation participates in Taiwan festivals October 2, 2019
- Creole Heritage Month activities officially underway September 29, 2019
- ‘Archives on Parade’ exhibition in May 2019 May 2, 2019