Share This On:
(AP) – A D.C. priest convicted of sexually abusing two child parishioners is asking for mercy at his sentencing and maintaining his innocence, saying he was “too busy to do a crazy thing.”
WTOP-FM reports 47-year-old Urbano Vazquez submitted a nine-page written letter to a judge ahead of his Friday sentencing. He faces up to 45 years’ imprisonment.
The letter was submitted alongside a pre-sentencing memo in which Vazquez’s lawyer asks the judge to consider Vazquez’s years of religious service and lack of criminal history. It follows Vazquez’s life from his birth in Mexico to being ordained in Pittsburgh five years ago to his time at the Shrine of the Sacred Heart, a large and predominantly Latino parish in Washington. It doesn’t mention the victims, then 9 and 13 years old.
More International News Stories
- Thai woman bitten by snake while sitting on toilet January 17, 2020
- Deaf man from Brooklyn sues Pornhub over lack of closed captioning January 17, 2020
- Missing Polish farmer believed to have been eaten by his own pigs January 17, 2020
- US woman charged with leaving 6 kids with dead man January 17, 2020
- Ukrainian prime minister submits resignation after tapes January 17, 2020
- JetBlue Airways is raising checked-bag fees again January 16, 2020