Share This On:
(AP) – Police in west Georgia say a father was texting when he ran over his toddler son twice in his driveway.
The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports 24-year-old Trenton Cook is charged with second-degree homicide by vehicle and failing to exercise due care, both misdemeanors.
Columbus police Officer Chad Daugherty testified during Cook’s preliminary hearing Tuesday. He said Cook waited until his girlfriend’s children went inside to pull into his driveway May 8. He felt a bump, and then another while reversing. He discovered he’d run over 22-month-old Zakai A. Cook, who later died.
Daugherty says cellphone data shows Cook sent a text while pulling in. Police found no evidence of intent, and public defender Lindsey Brown called it an accident.
The judge agreed and set Cook’s bail at $2,800.
More International News Stories
- $3 million found hidden inside barrels of pork shoulder, police say December 11, 2019
- 11 Chinese nationals found inside furniture in truck at US-Mexico border December 11, 2019
- Bodybuilder proposes to sex doll after getting it plastic surgery December 11, 2019
- Malaysia vaccinating for polio after first case in 27 years December 11, 2019
- US feds defend creation of fake school to fight visa fraud December 11, 2019
- 27,000 chickens to be culled after bird flu detected on farm in Suffolk December 11, 2019