Share This On:
(SNO) — The Saint Lucia Civil Service Assocation (CSA) said it is disappointed in Health Minister Mary Isaac in what it said is the deteriorating state of Saint Lucia’s health-care system.
General Secretary of the CSA Claude Paul said the reason for the disappointment lays in the fact that Isaac was a trade union member.
According to Paul, Isaac has been silent and has not made any advocacy on behalf of workers in the health sector.
“The CSA and the vast majority of members are very disappointed in the non-performance of the minister of health,” he said at a press conference this week.
Meanwhile, President of the CSA Cyprian Montrope said pertaining to health care on a whole, the responsibility lies with the Ministry of Health, and by extension, the minister.
“Having due regard to all the issues that we have raised, it begs the question whether the minister of health is in fact advocating on behalf of the citizens of Saint Lucia to get better health care,” he stated.
However, President of the Saint Lucia Medical and Dental Association, Dr. Alphonsus St. Rose, said it is up to Saint Lucians to measure Isaac’s performance.
“What you see there is what they deliver to you and that will say all,” he stated. “You make that judgement call because that’s what you get. So, are you satisfied with it? That’s the judgement you have to make.”
Concerns have been raised in recent times of the state of the health care system in Saint Lucia.
Just yesterday, the Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP) said the system has worsened on the island.
Members of the Trade Union Federation (TUF) have also said the health care system is in a bad state.
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM
- Prime Minister issues stirring call to action in Independence Address 2020 February 25, 2020 8:51 AM
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM