Share This On:
(AFP) — West Indies beat Afghanistan by 23 runs in the final group match for both sides at the Cricket World Cup on Thursday.
Shai Hope top-scored for the West Indies at Headingley with 77 while Nicholas Pooran and captain Jason Holder stepped up the pace as they reached 311-6 in their 50 overs.
Afghanistan mustered 288 all out in reply to fall to their ninth defeat out of nine despite a fighting 86 from Ikram Alikhil.
Neither side can qualify for next week’s World Cup semi-finals.
More Sports Stories
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019
- 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup qualifying draw set for December 11 December 9, 2019
- The Pitons Cup Barrier Draw December 9, 2019
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019
- SPL sets date for 2020 tournament December 6, 2019
- ARC+ first arrival makes landfall in Saint Lucia December 4, 2019
- West Indies name squads for upcoming T20Is and ODIs against India November 28, 2019
- ARC 2019 sets sail November 26, 2019