Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The Cultural Development Foundation’s mission to provide avenues for artistic and cultural expression continues with the launch of the Community Steel pan Training Programme. The official launch took place at the Vieux Fort Primary School Auditorium on August 12.
Enthusiastic members of the Laborie Steel Orchestra, Assumption Knights and St. Lucy Steel Orchestra were on hand as facilitators expressed their pleasure to be associated with a programme which will develop the skills of the panists through a series of structured sessions.
The working sessions take place in the communities of Laborie, Micoud and Vieux Fort and will be facilitated by three (3) accomplished musicians, bringing a wealth of knowledge in pan music, mentoring and guiding the music hopefuls in both theoretical and practical aspects of steel pan.
Group leaders, Quill Barthelmy, Terry Faisal and Hanan Gabriel were full of praise for the CDF initiative which they believe will bolster pride and boost the confidence of the aspiring musicians.
Celeste Burton, Director of Training, Promotion and Development pledged CDF’s support in honing the skills of the community pan groups who in time will showcase their abilities at the national, regional and international levels.
“See yourself as a musician”, encouraged Petrus Compton, Executive Chairman of CDF. “See your pans as the instruments through which you tell your story. All of you may not be an Andy Narrell. But if one of you is able to show Saint Lucia what pan can truly do for you, then this programme would have been a success. ”
As if to solidify the sentiments of Compton’s remarks, the panists in harmonious and infectious rhythms enticed the gathering with their arrangements.
The programme under the guardianship of Hausan “Zorro” Griffith, Monty Maxwell and Gregory Piper will run until August 30. Participants will, as part of activities to celebrate St. Cecilia’s Day, clash, in what is expected to be a friendly but fierce musical battle.
More Culture/History Stories
- Walcott Open House January 20, 2020
- Nobel Laureate Festival to launch, Wednesday January 6, 2020
- St. Lucian community in London gather for National Day December 13, 2019
- Valuing our heritage: Through the eyes of communities December 3, 2019
- Saint Lucia government to grow new ‘orange economy’ November 7, 2019
- Folk Research Centre gets assistance October 27, 2019
- Prize-giving ceremony for Kwéyòl Poetry Competition on today October 10, 2019
- Saint Lucia participates in Taiwan National Day celebrations October 9, 2019