The Commission of Inquiry into the circumstances leading to a British visitor’s death here by electrocution began its work earlier this week.
Hannah Defoe, a cousin of England footballer Jermain Defoe, died while on holiday at a small property in Vieux Fort. The tragedy generated international headlines and the Saint Lucia government said it is keen to assure potential visitors that it’s safe to stay here.
Everistus Jn. Marie has been appointed as the sole commissioner in the investigation. He said though an investigation had been carried out by the Ministry of Infrastructure in the weeks after the tragic incident, an independent voice will help all parties find closure.
Hannah Defoe was electrocuted when she dived into a pool at Juliette’s Lodge where live electricity was in the pool. The Ministry of Infrastructure ordered the property shut and the power cut after faults were detected in the electrical wiring.
Jn. Marie said the probe will examine whether proper procedures were followed including inspection of the facility by officers within the Ministry of Infrastructure.
The probe is expected to be concluded on April 30.
Hannah Defoe, a talented dancer who studied at a performing arts college in Essex, was on a three-week trip to the island to celebrate her 21st birthday when she was electrocuted after diving into the hotel’s swimming pool. It is believed her cousin and aunt, Janet, also suffered electric shocks while trying to save her. Both were taken to hospital.