Share This On:
(BBC) – Chinese authorities are looking for a man who was filmed carrying a dolphin over his shoulder at a beach in the city of Guangdong.
According to news website Btime, the man is believed to have taken the dolphin to his car before driving off with it.
Witnesses said the animal had been found stranded on a beach in Hailing island, and appeared to be dying.
Local officials said the man could face criminal charges if found.
A statement from China’s Public Security Department said an investigation into the incident was under way, urging those with information to come forward.
“Dolphins are protected animals in China, so the man will be punished if he is found,” the statement on Weibo said.
Footage of the incident, which took place on 1 May, was posted by Btime on Chinese video sharing site Miaopai where it has received more than six million views.
“Witnesses said they saw a dolphin which seemed to be dying or was almost dead near the shore,” a local fishery official told Btime.
“The tourist caught it and put it on his shoulder. He then drove away in his vehicle, presumably with the dolphin.”
People commenting on Chinese social media have been criticising the man’s actions.
“I don’t even know what punishment is in order for someone who did something like this,” said one Weibo user.
“If you’re so capable, go steal a shark from the sea and lets see what happens. Leave the dolphins alone,” another user added.
More International News Stories
- France launches bedbug hotline in campaign to stamp out the itchy menace February 21, 2020
- Two killed, 70 injured in horrific 200-car pileup near Montreal February 21, 2020
- Over 500 cases of coronavirus reported in Chinese prisons February 21, 2020
- Ukrainians hurl stones at evacuees from China February 21, 2020
- India builds wall along slum ahead of Trump visit February 20, 2020
- Texas-based company has reportedly created a coronavirus vaccine February 20, 2020
- Over 5,000 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in single day in China February 14, 2020