Share This On:
(SNO) – China over the weekend allocated $10-billion to combat the novel coronavirus but infections and deaths continue to grow unabated from the disease.
Last Sunday Chinese authorities reported 89 deaths in 24 hours, setting a grim record for daily deaths.
Another 108 deaths were reported on Tuesday, with the total death tolls surging past 1,000 since the new virus outbreak.
Officials from the country’s finance ministry said the money will go towards helping people afford diagnosis and treatment.
The number of confirmed infections in China grew, to at least 42,638 from about 40,000 a day earlier. Most of the infections are in Hubei, though the daily tally of new cases there fell compared to previous days.
“With 99 percent of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world,” the director general of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said on Tuesday.
Meanwhile in Saint Lucia, health officials say they are working assiduously to keep the virus from reaching the island’s shores.
Speaking on HTS Straight Up with Claudius Francis, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Sharon Belmar-George said systems are in place to protect the country from the dreaded virus.
She health teams routinely review the Maritime Declaration of Health and a decision is made whether to allow a vessel or ship into the the country.
“And that is something we do on a daily basis because as you imagine we let cruise vessels into the island, three, four, five sometimes a day,” she explained. “Usually it is not of concern.”
She stated that whenever something unusual is detected, they would either investigate or make a decision as to whether or not to allow a ship into port.
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM