Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The Renal Association is currently in the process of organizing activities for kidney week 2015. Kidney disease is very prevalent world- wide, particularly among people of African descent.
Treating late stage kidney disease is extremely expensive and in many cases patients cannot afford medication necessary to treat their symptoms and for many patients with Stage 5 kidney disease who require dialysis, the cost of said therapy is prohibitive.
Recognizing that fact, the Renal Association in conjunction with the Ministry of Health, has taken a proactive approach to educating the general public on the importance of early detection and prevention of kidney disease.
World kidney day this year will be celebrated on March 12, 2015. A week of activities is being planned to mark the occasion.
The main activity will be a celebrity sports day which will be held on Sunday March 15, 2015. Our aim is to bring together prominent members of society to participate in friendly competition.
It is our belief that the presence of these celebrities will attract members of the general public giving us a wider audience to get the message of “Kidney Health for All” out and to emphasize the importance of physical activity.
This will also allow us to raise much needed funds for the renal association. The proposed events are basketball, netball, small goals football, and table tennis and fun sports. Venue will be the Beausejour indoor facility.
More Health Stories
- Doctors warn women not to use toothpaste to ‘tighten their vaginas’ October 12, 2019
- World Mental Health Day focuses on suicide prevention October 10, 2019
- US hospital ship’s humanitarian mission in Saint Lucia ends October 1, 2019
- Saint Lucia records increase in gastroenteritis cases September 30, 2019
- US hospital ship clinics temporarily suspended due to ‘sea wells’ September 29, 2019