Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – In hopes of continuing discussions on matters pertaining to the LGBTQ community, Mayor of Castries, His Worship Peterson D. Francis on Monday hosted a successful meeting with LGBTQ groups United and Strong and the Eastern Caribbean Alliance for Diversity and Equality, ECADE.
The meeting, the first of its kind held by the Mayor’s Office, took place in the Office of the Mayor on Peynier Street in Castries.
Mayor Francis was briefed on the history of the LGBTQ groups, human rights, advocacy strategies and crime and security.
The meeting agenda also included major issues affecting the LGBTQ community, matters of climate change and HIV/AIDS.
In addressing the gathering, Mayor Francis was very positive and constructive in regard to working with both United and Strong and the Eastern Caribbean Alliance for Diversity and Equality for a better and inclusive Saint Lucia.
“I listened, I learned, and I look forward to continued dialogue. I hate discrimination, but I believe that there should be a lot more sensitization,” said Mayor Francis.
Mayor Francis expressed the view that the meeting was one of the first steps in improving relations “and making Castries a safe city for LGBTQ individuals, including visitors.”
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020 2:08 PM
- Items found in sea as Dominica plane crash rescue mission continues February 17, 2020 10:37 AM
- BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Reports of plane crash in Dominica February 16, 2020 8:28 PM