Share This On:
In the High Court on Thursday, May 16, 2013, Justice Francis Cumberbatch presided over a docket of 80 cases, many of which were incidents of carnal knowledge, indecent assault on a minor, incest and rape.
Though some of these individuals were arraigned on Thursday, some cases have been adjourned for one of various reasons, which included the absence of counsel or the lack of readiness on both sides to proceed with the matters.
Some of the cases
* In one particular case it is alleged that an Entrepot man, between November 1, 2011 and November 12, 2011, committed indecent assault on three different occasions. He is also charged with three counts of sexual intercourse with a minor and one count of unlawful sexual connection. The complainant is 14 years old. The man pleaded not guilty on all seven counts. His attorney has sought leave from the court to introduce an alibi statement for the proceedings. The defendant will reappear in court on June 17, 2013 for case management.
* A man from Fond Cacoa, Soufriere on Thursday pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual intercourse with a minor. The incidents took place between December 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011. The child in question was 13 years old at the time. The man will reappear in court on July 18, 2013 for pre-trial hearings to commence.
* Another man, from Cul De Sac, pleaded not guilty to one count of rape. This incident took place on August 23, 2012 at Cul de Sac, between 7am and 9am. The man will reappear in court on June 17, 2013 for fixture. He has decided to enter a defence of alibi.
* A Morne Du Don man pleaded not guilty to four counts of buggery on Thursday. The incidents took place between August 2010 and April 2011 at Morne Du Don. The man in question is unrepresented by counsel and will reappear in court on June 27, 2013.
* A man from La Guerre, Baboneau appeared in court Thursday to answer charges of indecent assault on a 15 year old. The incident took place on June 28, 2011 at about 4 pm. The man pleaded not guilty to the charge.
* McGregor Emmanuel of Ravine Poisson was last week arraigned for unlawful sexual connection with a minor and sexual intercourse with a minor. Though he pleaded guilty to the unlawful sexual connection, he pleaded not guilty to the sexual intercourse charge. The prosecution accepted the guilty plea, and then requested time for prosecutorial consult before proceeding with the other matter. Emmanuel claims that there was no actual intercourse during the incident which took place between 8:30 pm on January 5, 2012 and 6:30 am on January 6, 2012. The complainant in the matter was 15 at the time of the incident. Emmanuel will return to court on June 6, 2013 for report. He is currently remanded to Bordelais Correctional Facility.
*In June 2011, a man from La Pointe, Dennery allegedly had sexual intercourse with a 12-year-old girl. On July 16, 2011 it is alleged that he again attempted to sexual intercourse with the minor child. The man pleaded not guilty to both counts and will reappear in court on July 4, 2013 to answer to the charges. The child in question is the step daughter of the man; she is now 14 years old.
* A Castries man pleaded not guilty to three counts of sexual intercourse with a minor and one count of indecent assault. The minor in question was 14 years old at the time of the incidents which took place between September 1, 2011 and September 24, 2011 at Hospital Road. The man will reappear in court on July 18, 2013 and has given notice of his intent to enter an alibi statement for the record.
* Another man from Dennery, this time New Field, will answer to three charges of sexual intercourse with a minor and one count of indecent assault on a minor child. The child in this case is also the step daughter of the defendant and was 14 years old at the time of the incidents. These incidents took place between October 2011 and December 24, 2011. The man pleaded not guilty to all four charges and will reappear in court on June 27, 2013 for fixture.
* Lance Felix of Piaye, Laborie faces three separate charges of sexual intercourse with a minor. On Thursday, May 16, 2013, Felix pleaded guilty to the first charge dated Christmas Day 2011. However on the two other charges dated December 26, 2011 at Piaye and April 03, 2012 at Faux a Chaud in Castries, Felix pleaded not guilty. The victim in this case is a 14-year-old girl. The prosecution accepted the guilty plea from Felix and asked for some time to consider all options on the two other charges. Felix will return to court on June 6, 2013 for report. Though bail has been granted in the sum of $4,000, Felix has not been able to post bail and as such, he remains on remand at Bordelais Correctional Facility.
* A financial institution in Castries was the vehicle used in an attempt to defraud CAGE St Lucia Ltd of $17,500. Orlando Sammerson is the defendant in this matter and pleaded not guilty to the two charges brought against him. It is alleged that on June 8, 2012, Sammerson entered the institution with the express intent of obtaining cash through dishonesty and uttering false documents (cheque) in order to do so. Sammerson presented a cheque in his name to a bank teller in the amount of $17,500, dated June 07, 2012. The cheque was cashed and the monies were handed over to Sammerson. It was not clear whether any of the cash was recovered from Sammerson at the time of his arrest. Sammerson will reappear in court on June 27, 2013 for fixture.
* In another matter, Arnauld Henry of Bocage, Castries, is charged with one count of stealing from person. The incident took place on February 18, 2010. It is alleged that Henry accosted taxi driver Wendel Cassou in his vehicle and absconding with $1,200 and other documents. Henry pleaded not guilty to the charge and will appear in court on July 18, 2013 for fixture.