The brainchild of US Senator Gaylord Nelson, Earth Day was originally aimed at creating a mass environmental movement, and was held on April 22 to maximise the number of students that could be reached on university campuses. By raising public awareness of air and water pollution, Nelson hoped to bring environmental causes into the national spotlight.
Since 1970, Earth Day celebrations have grown. According to the Earth Day Network (EDN), more than 1 billion people are involved in Earth Day activities, making it “the largest secular civic event in the world.”
Cartridge World, the world’s fastest growing ink and toner re-manufacturing retailer and franchisor, with more than 1,700 locations worldwide, is reminding everyone on Earth Day (April 22) that saving money and helping the environment is easy when it comes to reusing printer cartridges.
A discarded printer cartridge thrown into a landfill can take up to 450 years to decompose with more than 350 million cartridges thrown out every year in North America alone. Since printers are commonplace in every home office and business, it makes sense to reuse and refill empty ink and toner cartridges – and saves money in the process.
Cartridge World recommends the following tips for an environmentally friendly home office/business:
• Refill and reuse empty printer cartridges – Empty inkjet and toner cartridges can be refilled and reused multiple times.
• Use rewriteable CDs and DVDs so they can be re-used again.
• Print double-sided.
• Decrease margin areas to fit more copy on a page.
• Use PrintEco, and innovative paper-saving software. Available FREE to Cartridge World customers, it lowers printed pages by up to 24%.
• Double-check your drafts before you print.
• Communicate with team members about who will bring printouts to meetings.
• Turn off all electrical equipment at night.
Here are some shocking ink and toner cartridge facts:
• It takes about a gallon of oil to make a new toner cartridge. Remanufacturing will help save oil, especially with the current gas/oil situation.
• Almost eight cartridges are thrown away per second in the United States.
• In North America alone, over 350 million cartridges per year are discarded in landfills, and that number increases by 12% annually.
• Every remanufactured cartridge saves nearly 2.5 pounds of solid waste from being deposited in landfills.
• 70% of used printer cartridges throughout the world are currently being thrown out.
In one year, if the world’s discarded cartridges were stacked end-to-end; they would circle the earth over three times.
Officially Earth Day is April 22, but at Cartridge World, it’s everyday!
Call us at 451-1465, 456-6591 or visit us in the JEB Building, Vide Boutielle, to find out and how you can save money while saving the planet.