Share This On:
KINGSTON, Jamaica – Generation 2000 (G2K), the young professional affiliate of the Jamaica Labour Party, today called on Caricom member States to protect the human rights of some 250,000 Haitian Dominicans in the Dominican Republic.
Their call comes as a result of the Government of the Dominican Republic passing a law, which could make citizens, born of Haitian descent after 1929, stateless.
“The law essentially means that people of Haitian descent, who were born and raised in the Dominican Republic, will no longer be considered Dominicans,” G2K said in a release.
According to G2K’s legal advisor, Alando Terrelonge, “The law perpetuates xenophobia and is aimed at ‘cleansing’ DR of its black nationals by stripping them of their citizenship and deporting them to Haiti. The actions being taken by the government of the Dominican Republic are in clear violation of human rights. We are duty bound to act to protect the lives of our Caribbean brothers and citizens.”
Haiti became a full member State of Caricom on July 2, 2002 while the Dominican Republic is listed as a Caricom ‘observer State’ and is a major trade partner of countries in the region.
The Inter-American Human Rights Court ruling handed down on October 22, 2014, ordered the Dominican court to amend its laws to recognise the citizenship of those born in that country.
Terrelonge noted, “Until the Government of the Dominican Republic respects the rights of all its nationals, including those of Haitian descent, Caricom nations and the rest of the international community should boycott travel to the Dominican Republic as well as boycott goods produced in that country.”
More Caribbean Stories
- Trinidad: Mom hacked to death – Cops stop suspect from dying by suicide February 21, 2020
- Trinidad: Man, 38, who allegedly filmed molestation of child, arrested February 21, 2020
- Jamaica: Teen arrested after bringing knife to school February 21, 2020
- Guyana celebrates 1st oil shipment after major discovery February 21, 2020
- BVI signs CARICOM agreement to establish medical schools February 21, 2020
- Jamaica: Cop flees in the nude after caught with soldier’s wife February 21, 2020