Share This On:
JAMAICA GLEANER – The alleged killing of a correctional officer by a member of the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) in Bog Walk, St Catherine, on Saturday night is being probed by detectives from the St Catherine North Police Division and the Independent Commission of Investigations.
The dead correctional officer, who worked at the St Catherine Adult Correctional Facility, has been identified as 22-year-old Ramar Bent of Ackel district, Kitson Town, St Catherine.
Preliminary investigations by police indicated that Bent, who was armed with a 9mm Browning pistol, was shot and killed, while 27-year-old Jason Barrett, a vendor of Princess Field, Linstead, was shot and injured in the upper left hand.
Reports are that two JDF members – a lance corporal armed with his service 9mm Browning pistol, and a lance corporal armed with a licensed 9mm Glock pistol, stopped to buy fried fish from a vendor along Main Street in Bog Walk.
While waiting to order, Bent and another licensed firearm holder tried to place their order ahead of the two soldiers. An argument ensued and Bent pulled his firearm.
One of the soldiers also pulled his firearm and opened fire at Bent, who ran and collapsed some distance away.
More Caribbean Stories
- Trinidad: Mom hacked to death – Cops stop suspect from dying by suicide February 21, 2020
- Trinidad: Man, 38, who allegedly filmed molestation of child, arrested February 21, 2020
- Jamaica: Teen arrested after bringing knife to school February 21, 2020
- Guyana celebrates 1st oil shipment after major discovery February 21, 2020
- BVI signs CARICOM agreement to establish medical schools February 21, 2020
- Jamaica: Cop flees in the nude after caught with soldier’s wife February 21, 2020