Share This On:
(SNO) — The Executive Committee of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) met on Wednesday, December 19, 2018, in Barbados and unanimously decided to support the candidacy of Giovanni Vincenzo “Gianni” Infantino for a new four-year mandate as FIFA President, from 2019 to 2023.
CFU is composed of 31 members of which 25 are FIFA members, all of which have already provided individual letters of support for Infantino, in recognition of what has been achieved at FIFA since his election in February 2016.
Randy Harris, CFU president, said: “The Executive Committee is very happy and proud to announce its unanimous support of Gianni Infantino in his bid for re-election at the next FIFA Congress on June 5 in Paris. All CFU members have already expressed their individual support of Gianni and, in this spirit, as CFU Executive Committee, we also wanted to mark our collective support. We are happy with all the reforms FIFA has undergone in the past two years and how the development of football has been strengthened in our region. Gianni treats all of us as equal members, and we are confident he is the right person to lead FIFA forward in the years to come and continue helping Caribbean football further improve and reach higher levels.”
Infantino is a 48-year-old Swiss-Italian football administrator, and the current president of FIFA, the world governing body for football. He was elected president of FIFA during the 2016 FIFA Extraordinary Congress on February 26, 2016.
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM
- Fuel prices change November 17, 2019 7:00 PM
- Kindergarten registration takes on a new approach November 17, 2019 12:51 PM
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM