Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – St. Vincent and the Grenadines Minister of Agriculture Honorable Saboto Ceasar, has called on policymakers in CARICOM member states, to identify a commodity or commodities for consolidated supply to regional and international markets.
He outlined that; “It is long acknowledged that many of the drawbacks resulting from our individual geographical smallness, can only be addressed through collective and co-ordinated marketing of our produce.”
According to Caesar, the banana model, which consolidated the marketing of bananas to the United Kingdom for over half a century, brought significant economic benefit to the Windward Islands’.
“There comes a time when we just have to face reality as small island states. One of these realities is that there is an urgent need for the OECS sub-region and CARICOM to a wider extent, to set up the necessary framework for collective marketing of our agriculture produce,” the Vincentian Agriculture Minister pointed out to his regional counterparts.
He furthered that, “the commodity or commodities to be marketed must be determined after the requisite technical assessment is done.”
Additionally, the Vincentian Agriculture Minister suggested that regional Chief Agriculture Officers, marketers, and agriculture organizations such as F.A.O., C.A.R.D.I., and I.I.C.A., all have important roles to play in the formulation of the plan.
The Honorable Caesar concluded, that our region’s agriculture policymakers “should not be timid in our quest to advance our agriculture sector collectively, since it is the spirit and intent of regionalism.”
More Caribbean Stories
- Regional Transformation Through Innovation February 19, 2020
- Emergency communications systems successfully tested across the region February 19, 2020
- Trinidad: Police investigate marijuana edibles in schools February 18, 2020
- Jamaica: Trusted neighbour molests 6-y-o child February 18, 2020
- Communiqué of the 68th Meeting of the OECS Authority February 17, 2020
- CCJ rejects appeal for commission on sale of land February 14, 2020