Share This On:
(SNO) – An elderly man who was remanded to police custody following the death of his wife, British national Anna Cecilia Mitchell, was formally charged with murder in connection with her demise.
James Mitchell, 79, a Commonwealth of Dominica native with British citizenship, appeared in the Gros Islet Court on Monday, June 25, 2018, charged with murder under Section 85A of the Criminal Code, his lawyer Shawn Innocent told St. Lucia News Online.
He was not required to enter a plea to the indictable charge, and was sent to Bordelais Correctional Facility until his next court appearance on July 11, 2018.
James was charged on Sunday, Innocent said.
The accused had been in custody since his wife’s murder on June 12, 2018. However, her post mortem was not conducted until last week Thursday, June 21, because police was waiting on a next of kin to arrive in the country to formally identify the remains.
The post mortem examination, conducted by Dr. Heather Samuel, revealed that Anna, who was 71 years old, died from traumatic brain injury caused by blunt and sharp force, as well as a vascular injury to the left side of her neck, according to reliable sources.
This result is consistent with earlier reports that Anna died from a blow or blows to the head and a stab/slash wound.
Her body was discovered by police in the driveway of her residence on Flamboouyant Crescent, Cap Estate, Gros Islet after 4 p.m. on Tuesday, June 12, 2018.
It is alleged that she was killed during a domestic dispute with her husband.
Anna moved to Saint Lucia with her lover many years ago after working in real estate and her family business in the United Kingdom.
Her death is the island’s 16th homicide for the year.
- Three nabbed in connection with Dennery armed robbery October 19, 2019 10:13 PM
- Slain Jamaican guard was planning to bring ‘partner’, relatives to Saint Lucia: sources October 19, 2019 8:16 PM
- Gros Islet man chopped in the neck in stable condition: official October 19, 2019 12:02 PM
- Man shot in Jetrine, Saltibus October 19, 2019 11:45 AM
- Saint Lucians seek Cricket West Indies Level 1 Coaches certification October 19, 2019 9:34 AM
- UPDATE: Jamaican security guard gunned down in Balata October 19, 2019 9:16 AM
- UPDATE: Man found stabbed to death in Vieux Fort identified October 19, 2019 8:43 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Man found dead in Vieux Fort October 19, 2019 8:08 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Johnson Charles to play in United Arab Emirates T10 October 19, 2019 7:50 AM