Share This On:
A senior prison official in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) has said the 21 high-risk inmates who were transferred to the Bordelais Correctional Facility in St. Lucia after the hurricane are doing well, according to a report on BVI News.
Superintendent of Prisons David Foot said some of the BVI prisoners are involved in extracurricular activities such as football, gymnasium, as well as rehabilitation programmes.
“The last report we had, the prisoners were adapting well to the regime in St. Lucia,” he told BVI News.
“And they will be back as soon as the repair works on the prison is finished,” Foot added.
Phase two of renovation works at Her Majesty’s Prison (HMP) in Balsam Ghut, based in Tortola, is set to begin today, April 3, 2018, and will cost US$1 million.
Foot said phase one repaired wings C, D and E of the adult penitentiary, costing less than a million dollars.
In February, the BVI’s Minister of Education and Culture Myron Walwyn signaled that the prisoners will return soon because repairs have commenced and are progressing well.
“We were able to start the much anticipated work on the rehabilitation of Her Majesty’s Prison in Balsum Ghut. We expect this work to be completed very soon so that our prisoners can return to the Territory from St Lucia,” he had said on February 2, 2018.
Following the September 2017 hurricane, the prison was extensively damaged.
The BVI will have to pay some US$78,000 to the government of St. Lucia to accommodate the 21 prisoners for six months. Government had anticipated that the inmates would return by March.
Government in its proposed Recovery and Development Plan for the BVI, indicated that US$10.5M will be needed to repair HMP.
According to the plan, the monies will allow for prison infrastructure repairs, including security fence, infrastructure improvements and expansion, ICT infrastructure, and vehicles.
- Three nabbed in connection with Dennery armed robbery October 19, 2019 10:13 PM
- Slain Jamaican guard was planning to bring ‘partner’, relatives to Saint Lucia: sources October 19, 2019 8:16 PM
- Gros Islet man chopped in the neck in stable condition: official October 19, 2019 12:02 PM
- Man shot in Jetrine, Saltibus October 19, 2019 11:45 AM
- Saint Lucians seek Cricket West Indies Level 1 Coaches certification October 19, 2019 9:34 AM
- UPDATE: Jamaican security guard gunned down in Balata October 19, 2019 9:16 AM
- UPDATE: Man found stabbed to death in Vieux Fort identified October 19, 2019 8:43 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Man found dead in Vieux Fort October 19, 2019 8:08 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Johnson Charles to play in United Arab Emirates T10 October 19, 2019 7:50 AM